Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Dickens on the Strand 2015

'Tis the season for Dickens on the Strand again. 

I found this Fashion plate last year and fell in love with it. This became my inspiration for my dress this year. It is a 1876 Paris Fashion Plate featuring the square overskirt. The square overskirt was very popular in 1875 and 1876.
Here is my dress. I chose to go with red instead of blue because I already have several blue dresses.
For easier comparison, here is a side by side. I tried to stay as close to the fashion plate as I could. The only thing I chose to change was the neckline. I did not make mine as high because my other dress has a high neckline and I wanted to do something different.

 My favorite part of the dress was the cuff. Just look how gorgeous they are. This took a lot of thought and time to replicate this style but I love the finished product.
A few shots of the front of the dress.

 And some from the back.
 Yes, there are 9 rows of 1/2 inch pleats on that train. You might be able to imagine how time consuming that was.
My friend Chandler and I. She is wearing my Regency gown that I made a few years ago.
This was a practice shot. Chandler was learning how to use my camera but it turned out well.

This is Lucinda (on the left) and Jane (on the right). They are the descendants of Charles Dickens.
The Thrift Entourage with all the gorgeous dresses.
Cheryl and I. You can blame her for introducing me to Dickens on the Strand.
Do you think this fan goes with my outfit?
I couldn't resist taking a picture of my shadow. Doesn't it look so Victorian? Yes, I may be a nerd but am proud of it.
Some strangers with awesome costumes.

This is the Costume Contest. We are waiting for the judges to make their decision. Number 12 and 13 are my new best friends. I think we had way too much fun in the contestant line than should be legal.
 Kitty Watts (number 13 above) decided we should become Sewing Best Friends, which rapidly became SBBBFs (Sewing Bustles and Buttons Best Friends). Kitty has quite the entourage. She made all of these dresses (except mine and the gentleman's).

Another stranger with an awesome costume. I love how much this blue pops!
 
 This was the winner of the Costume Contest. I heard that this was hand beaded. Amazing.
 One finale picture with the Christmas tree.
Merry Christmas All!

No comments:

Post a Comment